The positive experiences with the Prussian class T16.1 (later class 94.5-17) freight train tank locomotives with their five driving axles prompted the Royal Prussian Railroad Administration to order a steam locomotive with a tender equipped with this wheel arrangement.
The Henschel Company in Kassel developed a suitable locomotive, which was designated by the Prussian railroad as the class G10. As a result of earlier standardization concepts, a Garbe design boiler was used, which had already been tried and tested with the class P 8 (later class 38.10-40). The G10 achieved a maximum speed of 60 km/h or 37 mph and an output of 1,100 horsepower with this boiler. The first locomotives were delivered to the Prussian State Railroad in 1910.
By 1925, a total of 2,589 of the G10 locomotives had been built and were used by the German State Railroad Company (DRG) as the class 57.10-35. In the course of repairs several locomotives were equipped with similar boilers from the class 38, which differed however in terms of the number of steam domes and sand domes. After 1945, the roster of class 57.10-35 locomotives was reduced drastically. In 1950, the German Federal Railroad (DB) had only 391 remaining, and on July 1, 1950 the East German State Railroad had only 125 of these locomotives, all of which were brought together in the railroad's Schwerin District.