The locomotive builder Henschel in Kassel developed this type of locomotive, which was designated as the class G10 by the Prussian Railroad. A typically Prussian feature on this locomotive was the boiler with the larger diameter smoke box area based on a design by Garbe and already used with success on the P8. The G10 had a relatively low axle load and could be used on many branch lines, where it reached a maximum speed of 60 km/h 38 mph at a rated output of 1,100 horsepower. A total of 2,589 units of the class G10 were built from 1910 to 1925, and they fulfilled all of the railroad's expectations for them in heavy freight service. Locomotives of this design were also used by several foreign railroads. The chunky G10 with its five coupled axles was in service on the KPEV right up to the end of the provincial railroad period and was taken over by the German State Railroad Company (DRG) founded later and designated as the class 57 10-35.