A Beauty on the Rails.
The Royal Bavarian State Railroad bought probably the most famous and beautiful of all Bavarian express locomotives from 1908 to 1931. This means the last S 3/6 units were delivered 6 years after the introduction of the standard design class 01, without a doubt proof of the successful design. The famous S 3/6 was the epitome of Bavarian locomotive building. There were only slight differences among the first four production runs. The driving wheel diameter was 1,870 mm / 73-5/8". Thanks to its high level of performance and very efficient coal consumption, the S 3/6 was modestly a great success. 159 locomotives were built in 16 groups.
Immediately after its introduction it took over the main role in Bavarian express train service. It pulled express trains from Munich to Nürnberg, Regensburg, Lindau, Ulm, Würzburg, Aschaffenburg, Salzburg, and Kufstein. It was even the motive power for famous trains such as the Orient Express. In the German State Railroad period, its use as the motive power for the Rheingold was surely the high point of its career. The last unit on the German Federal Railroad was retired in 1966. Several museum locomotives remain preserved, among them one in the German National Museum in Munich and an operational unit at the Bavarian Railroad Museum in Nördlingen. The latter is currently one of the busiest steam locomotives for special runs.