The class V 80 rang in a new era in German locomotive design. Starting in 1952, these locomotives were the first units placed into service with hydraulic power transmission. Other technical innovations were the welding technology used on the frame and superstructure as well as on the trucks. The propulsion system with universal joint shafts was also something new. The railroad followed the aesthetics of the 1950s with a flowing, rounded locomotive body. The V 80 was used with commuter and fast passenger trains. It was also used for light freight trains. The 10 units in this class were equipped in succession with roof sound mufflers; road number V 80 006 was the pioneer for this. The design of the sound muffler on this unit differed from the rest. The remaining 9 units were equipped with standard design mufflers.