Starting in 1905, the Royal Bavarian State Railroad (K.Bay.Sts.B.) ordered a series of class PtL 2/2 tank locomotives for service on branch lines. A special feature was the engineer's cab that was glassed in on all sides, thus surrounding the boiler and giving the locomotive the nickname "Glaskasten" ("Glass Box"). Locomotive number PtL 2/2 - 4529 was redesignated by the DRG in 1925 as the 98 307. In 1935 it was transferred to Ingolstadt, and starting in the 1950s, it was used on the route from Georgensgmünd to Spalt. In October of 1962 the "Spalter Bockerl" ("Spalter Billy Goat" Note: Spalt is a town in Germany), as this locomotive was affectionately called, was acquired by the Nürnberg Transportation Museum. The class 98 307 is thereby surely the oldest surviving "Glaskasten".