Starting in 1905, the Royal Bavarian State Railroad
(K.Bay.Sts.B.) ordered a series of class PtL 2/2 tank locomotives for service on branch lines.
A special feature was the engineer's cab that was glassed in on all sides, thus surrounding the boiler and giving the locomotive the nickname "Glaskasten" ("Glass Box"). Locomotive number
PtL 2/2 - 4529 was redesignated by the DRG in 1925 as the 98 307. In 1935 it was transferred
to Ingolstadt, and starting in the 1950s, it was used on the route from Georgensgmünd to
Spalt. In October of 1962 the "Spalter Bockerl"
("Spalter Billy Goat" Note: Spalt is a town in
Germany), as this locomotive was affectionately
called, was acquired by the Nürnberg Transportation
Museum. The class 98 307 is thereby surely the oldest surviving "Glaskasten".