The electrification of the Augsburg - Stuttgart line at the start of the 1930s was the reason for the building of the class E 93. Although the economic situation at this time was clearly unfavorable, the outlook was for an increase in traffic. The first two of these C-C electric locomotives were ordered on March 14, 1932 and were delivered as early as the summer of 1933 to the Kornwestheim District. Earlier experiments with the E 44 test locomotive gave reason for hope that even greater power could be achieved with six axles. Traction motors suspended from an axle had given such good results since the E 44 tests. In addition, it was assumed that there would be approximately 50% savings in costs compared to C-C locomotives with side rod drive. The E 93 locomotives gave good running characteristics and met operating expectations such as hauling 1,600 metric ton trains on a 1% grade at 50 km/h or 31 mph. The maximum speed of the first four locomotives was set at 65 km/h or 41 mph and was raised to 70 km/h or 44 mph on the units that followed. By 1940, eighteen of the class E 93 had been built; all of them survived to be classed by the DB as the 193. The last of this class of locomotive was not retired until January 31, 1985 with locomotive no. 193 012 preserved as a private memorial locomotive in Lünen, and no. 193 007 remaining on the DB roster as a museum locomotive.