Class 211 Diesel Locomotive
Class 211 Diesel Locomotive
Class 211 Diesel Locomotive
Class 211 Diesel Locomotive

Most Important Facts

Article No. 16123
Gauge / Design type Minitrix /
Era IV
Kind Diesel Locomotives
Manuals Spare parts list Order spare parts Compact view Copy link
Article not produced anymore.
Check with your local dealer
Find Dealer

Highlights

  • Tooling variation.
  • Body and frame constructed of metal.
  • Warm white LEDs for lighting.
  • Cab lighting.
  • Digital sound with many functions.
Class 211 Diesel Locomotive

Product

Model: The locomotive has a built-in digital decoder for operation with DCC, Selectrix, and Selectrix 2. It also has a motor with a flywheel. 4 axles powered. Traction tires. The triple headlights and dual red marker lights change over with the direction of travel and can be turned off. The locomotive has separately applied grab irons. Length over the buffers 75 mm / 2-15/16".

Model: The locomotive has a built-in digital decoder for operation with DCC, Selectrix, and Selectrix 2. It also has a motor with a flywheel. 4 axles powered. Traction tires. The triple headlights and dual red marker lights change over with the direction of travel and can be turned off. The locomotive has separately applied grab irons. Length over the buffers 75 mm / 2-15/16".

more

Publications

- New items brochure 2017 - Main Catalog 2017/2018

Prototype information

The class V 100 diesel locomotives were developed in the Fifties initially as a replacement for the class 64 and 86 steam locomotives and were designed for light service on main lines and mixed use on branch lines. The V 80 served as a prototype, but the new locomotive was supposed to be considerably more cost efficient. MaK in Kiel received the contract to develop the locomotive in cooperation with the railroad's central office in Munich. In the late fall of 1958 MaK delivered five...

The class V 100 diesel locomotives were developed in the Fifties initially as a replacement for the class 64 and 86 steam locomotives and were designed for light service on main lines and mixed use on branch lines. The V 80 served as a prototype, but the new locomotive was supposed to be considerably more cost efficient. MaK in Kiel received the contract to develop the locomotive in cooperation with the railroad's central office in Munich. In the late fall of 1958 MaK delivered five pre-production locomotives, road numbers V 100 001-005 (later V 100 1001-1005, starting in 1968: 211 001-005) with 1,100 horsepower motors as well as road number V 100 006 (later V 100 2001, starting in 1968: 212 001) that had been equipped with a 1,350 horsepower motor. In 1961/62, 20 pre-production class V 100.20 locomotives were ordered with the more powerful 1,350 horsepower motor as a "lightweight road engine". Between 1963 and 1966, the German industry delivered two series of 360 units of this more powerful variation. In 1965, ten units from the last series (V 100 2332-2341) were equipped with hydrodynamic brakes for use on the line Rastatt – Freudenstadt with its steep grades. Characteristic for the V 100 was its angular, squared off shape that was clearly borrowed from the V 60. The motor performance was transmitted by means of an elastic coupling and universal joint shafts to the hydraulic Voith transmission, which allowed it to be run by means of a multi-step gearbox in full gear as a road engine (maximum speed 100 km/h / 63 mph) or in the switching range (maximum speed 65 km/h / 40 mph). The trucks were a new design with welded tube construction to which the wheelset links were mounted by means of "Silent blocs". The engine layout in the front longer hood had good access externally by means of a hood-shaped sliding door. These locomotives were general-purpose units and pulled light and medium size passenger, limited stop passenger, and freight trains on main and branch lines. In 1968, the V 100.20 locomotives were given the computer generated class designation 212, and the units for lines with steep grades ran as the class 213. Starting in the mid-Nineties they were used considerably less, and the last locomotives were put into storage at the DB AG's freight service division (railion) in December of 2004. Most of these retired locomotives were not scrapped but were sold mostly by locomotive dealers. Many are used now by track construction firms in France and Italy. German private railroads and foreign state railroads are also still grateful recipients of the V 100.20 (212). Even the DB has not done away with these proven units entirely. Twelve remotored units currently run for the DB Vehicle Services, Inc., and six 212/213 units can be found at the DB Railroad Construction Group, Inc. Fifteen units are available converted as the class 714 for the DB Emergency Technology Network and serve as motive power for rescue trains that are intended primarily for emergency use on the newly constructed routes.

more

Features

e Era IV
% DCC/ Selectrix decoder
! Sound effects circuit
P Triple headlights and two red marker lights that change over with the direction of travel.
, Lighting with warm white LED’s
Z Metal locomotive frame and body
\ For adults only

Warning

ATTENTION: adults only

Digital Functions

DCC SX2 SX MFX
Headlight(s)
High Pitch Horn
Rear Headlights off
Front Headlights off
Direct control
Sound of squealing brakes off
Rear Headlights off
Low Pitch Horn
Front Headlights off
Station Announcements
Rail Joints
Conductor's Whistle