For almost 100 years, the railroad fans in Germany and Europe have generally considered the Prussian P8 to be one of the most beautiful locomotives. Over 3,800 units were built from 1906 to 1928 for the Royal Prussian Railroad Administration (K.P.E.V.), for other provincial railroads, for foreign railroads, and for the German State Railroad (DRG). After 1945 over 300 locomotives were still in use in Germany. The last units worked in regional service well into Seventies. Around 20 locomotives have survived in operational condition down to the present, spread almost all over Europe.