Actually, enough pusher locomotives were available for the Bavarian stations with the proven three-coupled axle class "D II" and "R 3/3" (DRG 89.6-8). Yet, their adhesion weight was not sufficient for heavy switching work. The Bavarian State Railways thus purchased nine four-coupled axle pusher locomotives, the class R 4/4, in 1914 and 1915 initially for the Palatine Railways that came under Bavarian administration. These units were bought from the firm of Krauss in Munich. They were derived from the four-coupled axle units that Krauss had delivered between 1904 and 1912 for the Lausitz Railroad, Inc. (LEAG), a subsidiary of the Local Railroad, Inc. of Munich (LAG). The R 4/4 units turned out so well that 33 units of the class R 4/4 were built by Krauss unchanged in 1918/19 for the Bavarian network. In 1924/25, another nine units followed with slight changes.
All of the locomotives had wet steam running gear with four coupled wheel sets. The second and fourth wheel sets had side play of ±20 mm / 3/4" and ±40 mm / 1-9/16" respectively. The "T" shaped water tanks in and above the frame were particularly striking design features as well as the high-mounted boiler above them. All 40 of the units placed in service by 1919 had joint cladding for the steam and sand domes. Only the last nine locomotives built in 1924/25 had changes such as the separate arrangement of the steam dome and sand tanks as well as additional water tanks. While initially the locomotives only had a hand brake, they were subsequently equipped with air brakes, whereby the main air reservoir was placed on the flat part of the side water tanks.
The DRG classified seven of the new Palatine R 4/4 units as road numbers 92 2001-2007 in its motive power roster. The two other units remained with the Saarland Railways. The Bavarian R 4/4 units were taken over by the DRG completely as road numbers 92 2008-2040. The units built later in 1924/25 were given the road numbers 92 2041-2049. Before World War II, the R 4/4 locomotives could be found in Bavaria mostly in Augsburg, Munich, Nürnberg, and Regensburg as well as in the Palatine by 1943. After the end of the war, all 49 units were still in existence but three had to be retired due to damage. The remaining class 92.20 units were based in Bavaria, and by the end of 1954, their ranks began to thin. As early as January 9, 1962, road number 92 2024 as the last unit was taken out of service at the main maintenance facility in Nürnberg. None of these locomotives was preserved for the future.