The Class 23.
Right after World War II, the new German Federal Railroad still had to rely on steam motive power. Henschel developed the class 23 to cover the demand for passenger and lightweight steam locomotives. The 105 units built from 1950 to 1959 had a 2-6-2 wheel arrangement and were equipped with a welded frame, boiler, and tender. The maximum speed was 110 km/h / 69 mph forward and 85 km/h / 53 mph in reverse, which was enough to equip several locomotives with shuttle train controls. These locomotives performed their task without a great deal of fanfare in the areas of service planned for them. On January 1, 1968, the class 23 was changed to the computer designation class 023 and the last units of this class remained in service on the German Federal Railroad network until 1976. During this period they were assigned to the Crailsheim District. Road number 23 105 also wrote German railroad history. It was the last German Federal Railroad steam locomotive put into service, which lent it museum status. However, it was a victim of the catastrophic fire on October 17, 2006 at the Transportation Museum in Nürnberg, where it was heavily damaged. There are several examples of the class 23 preserved as museum locomotives, some of them even operational, due to the good condition of all of these locomotives, when they were retired from regular service.