In 2019, the "Royal Dutch Airline Company" celebrated its 100th anniversary and was thereby the oldest airline company in the world in operation. Even before its formation on October 7, 1919, Queen Wilhelmina had conferred the title "royal" on September 12, 1919 on the still officially unlisted airline company. This is how the firm started by Albert Plesman and known then as "Koninklijke Luchtvaart Maatschappij voor Nederland en Koloniën" (KLM) came into being on October 7, 1919 in aviation history. The first KLM flight went on May 17, 1920 from London-Croydon to the airport at Amsterdam-Schiphol. As early as 1926, KLM was flying from Amsterdam to Bremen, Brussels, Copenhagen, London, Malmö, Paris, and Rotterdam. Regular intercontinental flights to Indonesia started in 1929 and transatlantic flights to the Dutch Caribbean started in 1934. To be sure, aviation service in Europe was dormant during World War II, but in the Dutch Caribbean, flights went on at a lively pace. On May 31, 1946, KLM was the first continental European airline company to start service to New York. On May 5, 2004, KLM was merged with Air France to make AIR FRANCE KLM Group, with headquarters in Paris. Yet both KLM and Air France kept their independence externally after the merger.
Indeed, the NS painted two class ICM-1 trains in the colors of two Dutch airlines in 1986 not for the 100th anniversary but for the opening of the rail line between Amsterdam Central and the airport in Schiphol. It was a nice coincidence that the ICM units with their raised cab at the front looked a little like a Boeing 747. Road number 4011 gleamed then in the blue-white-gray KLM paint scheme and road number 4012 was in white with red stripes such as the colors of Martin Air.
The ICM trains came about because of the NS desire to purchase new rolling stock for their fast intercity services. These new trains had to be flexible in use with faster, easier separation and coupling at junction stations as well as the option for passengers to change from one unit to the other during transit. With these requirements, the engineer's cabs were thus quickly raised up one level and these powered rail cars were equipped with crossovers at the ends. This feature gave the trains a brawny, unusual look quickly resulting in the nickname "Koplopers" (= Head Runner). In 1977, the NS initially purchased an advance series from Talbot in Aachen of seven three-part units (4001-4007) as IC3 (later ICM-0). Regular production as the ICM-1 began in 1983 with numerous improvements. Starting with road number 4051 chopper control was added and the class changed to ICM-2. Between 1990 and 1994, 50 four-part units were built as the ICM-3 (4201-4230) and ICM-4 (4231-4250). In contrast to the three-part trains with only one powered end car, on these trains the truck on the intermediate car just behind the powered end car also had powered wheel sets. The mechanical part of all "Koploper" trains came from Talbot, while CEM Oerlikon and Holec were responsible for the electrical equipment. The ICM regular production trains 4011–4097 and 4201–4250 were successively modernized as the ICMm in the years 2006 to 2011. The characteristic diaphragms between the units were left off due to infrequent use. The interior space was completely renovated, wheelchair-compliant restrooms were installed, air conditioning and passenger information displays were retrofitted, and seating was increased by 13%.