The class E 40 (starting in 1968: 140) freight unit is the DB standard design electric locomotive built in the most numbers and it was placed in service between 1957 and 1973 with 879 units. Road number 140 024 belongs to the first series placed in operation. Over the course of its life, its appearance changed like many others due to several conversions. The simple lower lamps at the ends were replaced by double lamps, the Schweiger design vents made way for rectangular Klatte design vents, the continuous rain gutters disappeared and instead rubber strips were installed above the doors and windshields. In addition, the continuous grab irons and strips for standing initially present were removed and replaced by a simple grab iron.
Prototype: German Railroad, Inc. (DB AG) class 140 electric locomotive. "Klatte" ventilation grills and one-piece rounded engine room windows included. Orient red basic paint scheme. Road number 140 024-1. The locomotive looks as it did around 2010.