As the second to the "Last of the Mohicans" of the once numerous class 38.10-40 (former Prussian P 8) steam locomotives on the DB, road number 038 382 (until 1968: 38 2383) was withdrawn from service on April 29, 1974. A crack in the boiler had knocked it out of action shortly before its overhaul deadline in July. It had been stationed along with its two siblings (road numbers 038 771 and 772) since the beginning of July 1973 at the Rottweil maintenance facility and it hauled passenger trains in the Black Forest and the Neckar Valley. After being pulled from service it found a worthy place in the German Steam Locomotive Museum in Neuenmarkt-Wirsberg, once again with its old road number 38 2383. The P 8 turned out to be one of the most successful Prussian locomotive designs ever. Over 3,500 units of this barely 1,200 horsepower locomotive were built by 1923 just for German railroads. Almost all of the German locomotive builders participated in its production. Just over 1,200 locomotives came to the German Federal Railroad after World War II. The roster for it did not start thinning out noticeably until the end of the Fifties.
Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 038 steam locomotive with a tender. Former Prussian P8. Version with triple headlights, two boiler domes, bell, standard Prussian cab, Witte smoke deflectors, coal tender addition, and inductive magnet. Road number 038 382-8. The locomotive looks as it did around 1970/71.