Road number 56 765 of the GDR German State Railroad is an absolute one-of-a-kind. It emerged in June of 1939 from the conversion of the former Prussian G 8.1 (DRG road number 55 4131) by the DRG. The aim was to improve the running characteristics of this locomotive with eight driving wheels with the addition of a Bissel frame pilot truck and to increase the speed to 70 km/h / 44 mph. After World War II, it remained on the DR in the GDR and worked into the Sixties in passenger and freight service while being stationed at the maintenance facility in Heringsdorf on the Isle of Usedom. There it was even equipped with smoke deflectors as an exception due to the occasionally strong winds off the sea. The lettering "Lok Brigade Fritz Reuter" ("Fritz Reuter Locomotive Worker's Team") shows the special care given to this locomotive by this team and commemorates the Low German author and democrat Fritz Reuter, who lived in the 19th century.
Prototype: German State Railroad (DR) GDR class 56.2-8 steam freight locomotive. Converted Prussian G 8.1 with a pilot truck. German State Railroad (DR) (prewar) lamps and bell included. Type 3T 16,5 coal tender. Road number 56 765. The locomotive looks as it did around 1966.
|Gauge / Design type||Trix H0 /|