Road number E 71 26 enriched the still small Baden electric network for the Wiesen and Wehratal Line starting in 1929 as the Baden "Flat Iron" between Basle via Schopfheim and Zell or Bad Säckingen. It was placed into service in 1920 as road number EG 526 and it was part of the first regular procurement of electric locomotives for the Prussian State Railroad for freight train service. This locomotive was characterized by a modern propulsion design for that time using two trucks driven by coupling rods. It was initially used in the Central German network at Halle, and as early as 1929 road number E 71 26 went to Basle for use pulling passenger and freight trains. It remained there until its retirement on June 2, 1957.
Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class E 71.1 electric locomotive. Bottle green basic paint scheme. Locomotive road number E 71 26. The locomotive looks as it did around 1954.