The need for speed in the late 1930s - stimulated by competition with the airplane and the automobile - also led the German State Railroad Company (DRG) to increase the speed requirements for express trains. However, this was possible neither with the modern class 01 and 03 locomotives, nor with the numerous locomotives of the provincial railroads with compound running gear that were still in existence. The solution was a thoroughly new design based on the class 03, a 3-cylinder layout with more power for the required locomotive. In addition, new discoveries in aerodynamics demonstrated the great influence on air resistance for the maximum possible speed and the coal required to achieve this speed, which was offset with streamlined fairing. This new streamlined locomotive was classified as the 03.10. Its use was planned on routes with a maximum axle load of 18 metric tons at a maximum speed of 150 km/h or 93 mph. In 1938, Borsig of Hennigsdorf, near Berlin, Krupp of Essen and Krauss-Maffei of Munich were contracted to build the class 03.10. Of the 140 locomotives ordered, however, only 60 were delivered to the German State Railroad. Similar to the class 05, the first locomotives initially were painted rust red, and were later repainted black. After the end of the war, 26 of the 03.10 locomotives were still on the German Federal Railroad's (DB) roster.