When Henschel was awarded the contract at the beginning of the 1930s to build ten 2-10-2T tank locomotives, the introduction of the standard design locomotive concept was proven once again to be a sensible step. These tank locomotives were planned for the route from Hirschsprung to Hinterzarten, also known as the Höllentalbahn (Hell"s Valley Railroad) and were equipped with valve gear and running gear from the class 44; the boiler came with a few changes from the class 62. The combination of the pilot truck and the first driving axle into a Krauss-Helmholtz articulated frame was also taken from the class 44. All 10 units of this locomotive class were delivered in 1932 and 1933 to the Freiberg District. Some of them were assigned later to the Villingen District for service on the Schwarzwaldbahn (Black Forest Railroad). After the Höllentalbahn was electrified, the class 85 was still used until the introduction of the classes E 40 and E 44 electric locomotives with their electric brakes, which offered greater advantages. On May 29, 1961 eight class 85 locomotives were retired, one locomotive had already been destroyed in the war, and the last unit was preserved as a monument.