D XI - Bavaria's Local Success.
The increasing expansion of rail lines - also in remote areas - of the Kingdom of Bavaria prompted the railroad management in Munich to order a large quantity of a branch line locomotive. Between 1895 and 1912, the firms Krauss and Maffei in Munich delivered a total of 139 units of the class D XI to the state railroad. These units were designed as wet steam locomotives and turned in good results in daily service. They quickly became the most frequently encountered branch line locomotive on the Royal Bavarian State Railways (K.Bay.Sts.B.). Other locomotives of this class were delivered to privately owned German railroads and 3 were built for the Palatine Railroad, all of them having differences in dimensions from the Royal Bavarian version.
All 147 units were designated in 1925 as the class 98.4-5 by the German State Railroad Company (DRG) und like all other steam locomotives were given the new standard paint scheme of black and red.
The roster of this sturdy little locomotive shrank by 1933 to half of the original number, but the German Federal Railroad still counted 56 locomotives in its motive power roster.
Two locomotives remained in Czechoslovakia after World War II and four in Austria, where they were given the road numbers 791.01-04.
The German Federal Railroad retired the last of this successful Bavarian branch line class in 1960, and a couple of years later it set up as a memorial in front of the Ingolstadt station.