Power House in Suburban Service
The DB new construction program had plans for a tank locomotive for passenger service in suburban areas. A driving wheel diameter of 1,500 mm / 60" and a maximum speed of 85 km/h / 53 mph were stipulated here. Krauss-Maffei, Inc. in Munich delivered the first handsome prototypes, road numbers 65 001 and 65 002, in March of 1951. Another eleven units (road numbers 65 003-013) were put into service over the course of the year, and in 1955/56 came road numbers 65 013-018. An absolute high point for this class was the Darmstadt maintenance facility, where eleven locomotives (road numbers 65 001-011) were stationed between 1954 and 1966. After various electrification projects, they ran starting in the fall of 1964 only in regional service on the Oden Forest Line Darmstadt – Erbach – Eberbach as well as on the two Oden Forest branch lines from Weinheim/Bergstraße to Wahlen and Fürth/Odenwald.
Prototype: German Federal Railroad (DB) class 065 passenger tank locomotive. Version with a feed water heater, ventilation installation on the roof, and DB Reflex glass lamps. Road number 065 001. Weathered version.
|Gauge / Design type||Trix H0 /|